|Date 日期||4th July 2021 (Sun.)|
|Start Time 开始時間||0830|
|End Time 完结時間||1630|
|Start Location 起點||VRC Emerald Bay
|End Location 起點||VRC Emerald Bay
|Cost/person 每人费用*||HKD 350|
|BONUS : Kayak to your heart’s content until 6:00 pm the same day|
|*for VRC members, additional HKD 100 for guests paid on event day via cash /FPS /PayMe|
Toured Middle Island south of Hong Kong? Now you can tour Sharp Island! If you joined the first kayak swim, you know waters of Sharp Island are beautiful and clearer than elsewhere. Third in a series of kayak-swims that are progressively longer — come for a ~5.5 km total open water swim after ~1.5 km kayaking. The swim is broken down into approximate 1.5 / 1.3 / 1.0 / 1.7 km official segments.
Note: only one land-based rest point at the middle of this swim-round-the-island route! At that rest point, you have the option to hike back a little bit OR to swim even further for ~1.5 km around the southern tip of Sharp Island. Be warned… this latter choice is for the strong athletes only as stronger currents exist for this extra ~1.5 km! Packed Lunch included.
Please join only if you have open water swimming experience and 14+ years old. Please be really honest to yourself about your open water swimming capabilities!
If you do not have doubts, come join us as kayak support.
For safety, we may designate a stop if swimmers are too far away from each other.
OPEN FOR REGISTRATION
6 JUNE 2021
Having joined us for the first and second kayak-swim events, you will certainly know what its all about. Cleaner and quieter than Hong Kong Island, Sai Kung waters are superb to swim in although just as salty! The shallow parts at points are a joy to swim in as you stare at the seabed in zen mode.
Parking the kayaks at the northern tip of Sharp Island, we navigate a bit among rocks to launch from a suitable sea side. Swimming ~1.5 km with escort, we reach the Tsing Chau Lighthouse (eastern tip) of the famous UNESCO Geopark site. After waiting for most if not all swimmers, we continue another ~1.3 km to Hap Mun Bay Beach where we rest on land for lunch. If you have had enough swimming, hike back to Kiu Tsui Beach for a shorter swim back to where we started, OR, skip lunch and challenge the southern Sharp Island tip for a current-laden swim of about ~1.5 km to the backside of Hap Mun Bay Beach.
After this land rest, we start the long swim back to the kayaks. Rallying at least once about 1+ km out, we hit the home run for just ~1.7 km. From there, VRC Emerald Bay here we come!
In order to participate in swimming within this event, you MUST
– come with your own personal safety buoy
– store water shoes within your buoy
– have open water swimming experience
– able to swim freestyle continuosly for 500m
– TerraMar reserves the right to discontinue your swim at any time with reference to the safety of other swimmers.
Map coming soon.
|0830||Check in, gear up.|
|0900||Quick briefing and launch!|
|0930||Land on north Sharp Island.|
|1030||Swim ~1.5 km & rally at Tsing Chau Lighthouse|
|1130||After ~1.3 km, reach land based rest point: Hap Mun Bay Beach|
|1135||Lunch, stretch, chill & refresh!|
|1135||Option to hike back to Kiu Tsui Beach for a short swim back to kayaks.|
|1135||Strong swimmers challenge the ~1.5km southern tip of Sharp island to the back beach of Hap Mun Bay|
|1230||Rally at the back beach of Hap Mun Bay Beach.|
|1315||After ~1.0km swim, rally at the east most point (middle of) Sharp Island|
|1320||Start the ~1.7 km longest swim back to kayaks.|
|1430||Reach kayaks to rest before home sweet home at leisure!|
*timeline is an estimate only, actual times determined by group speed, weather conditions and guide.
**depending on group consensus, we can cut short resting periods, simply not have them or split the group!
**TerraMar reserves the right to discontinue your swim at any time with reference to safety of other swimmers.
- Lunch with drink is provided. Please bring a waterproof bag with you!
- Please bring with you on your kayak some cash as well as HKID.
- You MUST bring your own personal safety buoy, swim wear, swim cap, goggles, sunscreen and change.
- You are also suggested to bring water, water shoes (cover heel and toes), sunglasses (with a floating belt) and a hat.
- Please put on sunscreen and insect repellent before the event.
- Please wear water shoes / sports shoes for the kayaking. Flip flops are NOT recommended.
- To start the event on time, please kindly change your clothes and settle your personal belongings in advance.
- The event has its own public liability insurance coverage, but we recommend that all participants get their own personal accident coverage to cover any personal accidents.